Being Globally Employable

Being Globally Employable is more than just having one skill set and banking your financial future on that skill.

Being Globally Employable is having a multiple skill sets that allows you to work where and when you want, independent of what any particular slow down or speed up that may be occurring in that industry.

Having multiple skill sets and specialties removes all of the worry about where your next pay check is coming from and allows you the opportunity to relax and enjoy your family, community, dog, etc.

The first step to being Globally Employable is to recognize your existing skill sets and acknowledging what you've accomplished so far. A successful track record doesn't end just because you've shifted to a completely different industry. Keep that in mind when building your resume. If you're successful, your next employer needs to know that even if you're applying for a position that you've recently trained for.

Free Resume Assistance

Now let's look at what you want to accomplish and what skill sets you'll need to build a financial wall around you and your family. Without knowing exactly where you're going, you're not going anywhere!

Taking a look at your financial standing is equally important during this phase as you might need to budget or stretch your training out over months and years.

Starting in your own backyard is the best place to start adding skills.

Communication is key in being Globally Employable. Chances are, you'll be working with some type of federal and state agency or at least people that speak government or "MILSPEAK."

NIMS-ICS is the National Incident Management System-Incident Command Structure training. It covers all that you know about the chain of command during emergency situations. The training is free and the certificates you get along the way look great! Be sure to add these courses to your resume.

I won't say that having NIMS-ICS alone will get you hired but when you add it to degrees or other skill sets, you'll be seriously looked at by whoever is hiring.

Each state has it's own specific laws about handgun carry/ concealed carry permits. Start with getting your permit. This will probably require some type of mandatory classroom training as well as demonstrated knowledge in actually putting lead down range with some degree of accuracy.

If you're very proficient with a weapon, add that to your skills list. If you're like most people, you may want to look at taking a shooting course further down the road. Your goal now is to get your handgun carry permit.

Chances are that you can combine the classroom and shooting portion of the course with a class that gives you your state armed and unarmed guard license. Again, all states are different, so make sure you maximize your return on investment of money and time.

Now that you have made the decision to move toward being Globally Employable and have a couple of marketable skills in addition to your previous skills and work ethic, it's time to register with Armor Group/Wackenhut Security for disaster response work providing security during cleanup operations. Get some experience under your belt then start looking at work as a Security Consultant and helping out with Executive Protection.

For security response work, you're looking at about $30 per hour for the first 40 hours, $45 per hour for anything over 40, per diem and mileage. Working more than 40 hours isn't difficult as I believe most have done that sometime in your life but you may be called on to work closer to 80 hours.

If you're called out to work that many hours, don't bitch and complain! I've seen it happen and those that do are rarely, if ever called upon again. Here's a way to look at it: What do you call an 84 hour work week? Half a day!

12 Hours a day is half a day. I'd prefer to work 18 hours a day if I'm deployed and am away from family. I want the money and I know even 18 hours per day is sustainable for a really long time. Be mentally prepared for long hours and don't whine.

After you've worked a security/natural disaster response, you should have some serious money set aside if you haven't blown it on a bunch of crap that you really don't need. One friend made over $10,000 in two weeks and you can too. Re-invest that money in yourself and get to a school where you can further enhance your skill sets. My suggestion is UXO school or EPI in Virginia both of which will be covered later.

If you're not crazy about carrying a gun as part of your job duties but like the idea of deploying to clean up and disaster sites, the HAZWOPER may be a good place for you to start. You do need to circle around eventually to get the armed guard license and your handgun carry permit.

Again, adding skill sets as you go is critical in having enough opportunities to stay employed.

The OSHA HAZWOPER is a 40 hour initial course with annual 8 hour refreshers that allows you to participate in clean up operations of all kinds. In fact, it's a federal law that you must have the HAZWOPER to participate in oil spill cleanup of any kind. Those in the panhandle made great money sitting on the beach waiting for the oil to come ashore a couple of summers ago.

Don't have 40 hours to commit to sitting in a classroom? I didn't either and took 32 hours of it online. I did take the remaining 8 hours in person which, for me, was a complete waste of time. Taking the 40 hour completely online is a great option which allows you to do it at your own pace, without leaving family or your current position to attend the class.

Let's take a break and review. You've taken some of the NIMS-ICS courses which allows you to speak with federal agencies during a crisis, have your armed and probably unarmed guard licenses, possess your handgun carry permit and your familiar with how to properly use a pistol and the rights and responsibilities associated with that, you have your 40 Hour HAZWOPER which allows you to participate in all kinds of clean up operations.

If you stopped here, you'll still be in a good place for keeping employed most of the time but let's push through.

As we live in a post-9/11 world, security has become critical especially in our ports and harbors. DHS recently introduced the Transportation Workers Identification Card or TWIC. This is an ID that is backed with interviews and a background check allowing the holder to access secure areas.

Let's look at hurricanes alone. You have a TWIC card, armed guard license with handgun carry permit and HAZWOPER, you're going to be called first and one of the last to leave. You bring too much to the party to be let go.

Along the way, keep an eye out for tactical shooting course. This will make you proficient with an assault-type rifle, the M4/AK47, and transitioning to your "Secondary," the pistol. This is the type of training that Special Operations guys regularly attend. It's a perishable skill.

Next is what I consider one of the best money makers out there. 4 weeks of training and you're making six figures. You can read the break down of all the pays by clicking here.

UXO is the acronym and industry name for Unexploded Ordnance. When I spoke with one of my friends, Jim, we spoke about how his resume looked like everyone elses resume. Adding UXO to his resume would have set him apart from other competitors looking at white collar jobs, he just chose to never go back!

You must have your current HAZWOPER to work in UXO. If you're between UXO contracts, you have the HAZWOPER to open remediation jobs up. When the employer sees that you're used to working with UXO, do you think they'll worry about you being able to perform? Not at all. The same is said for those looking to hire security personnel for disasters.

Expanding UXO for OCONUS work, you'd want to pick up the demining course. It's a requirement for UXO work outside the Continental US.

UXO Option: Join the Army, Marines or Air Force and attend EOD School.

Another option to UXO is commercial diver. I do want to make this perfectly clear. You will be expected to run your ass off during dive school, it is expensive and the turnover rate is extremely high.

Unless you're 100% committed to years of working on the pier waiting for a chance to be selected as a diver, don't bother going.

Now, if you are committed to blowing bubbles and taking your skill sets underwater, there are several great schools geographically located around the US.

Guess what, you'll need your HAZWOPER and your TWIC!

Commercial Diver Option: Join the Navy and become a 2nd Class Diver. After 2nd Class and some time blowing bubbles, you can attend 1st Class Dive School, SAT School. Army does have construction divers for those that are afraid of big grey things that float in the water. Both Army and Navy Salvage Divers attend the same school at Naval Dive Salvage Training Center, Panama City, FL.

How about a Commercial Diver with a UXO certification? It's beginning to happen. The US Army Corps of Engineers oversees UXO contracts of all kinds. The Corps Regulations currently state that those conducting underwater UXO operations must be graduates of the Navy EOD Dive Program and the EOD School that the other 3 branches attend.

Underwater UXO Option: Navy EOD. I don't believe there's a better program in the military where you can walk out with the capabilities the Navy EOD Techs have. If you'd like to know more about Navy EOD, it's best to speak with one. Use the Contact Me.

What does Globally Employable look like?

Handgun carry permit, armed guard, private security consultant with a current HAZWOPER, speaking MILSPEAK as well as FEDSPEAK and any other language you need, with the ability to blow stuff up around the globe and even underwater. No whining ever heard!

Top of Being Globally Employable

Jobs from Indeed
Enter Your E-mail Address
Enter Your First Name (optional)

Don't worry — your e-mail address is totally secure.
I promise to use it only to send you Globally Employable.